How to update your address on the Finanças website?
1. Go to the tax portal page by clicking the link, enter your login credentials, and click the "Autenticar" button.
You can click on images, they can be zoomed
2. You should end up on this screen, which is also known as "e-balcão". Translation: e-counter. This is the Portuguese Tax Office's online help counter where you can complete a variety of tasks. Press "Aceder"
3. Scroll down until you see a blue "Registar Nova Questão" button and then click on it. Translation: "Register new question"
4. You will end up on this screen, which is the form that you need to fill out to put in a request to change your address.
For the first set of dropdown fields, please select the following: Imposto ou área = Registro Contribuinte (Tax or area = Taxpayer Registration) Tipo de questão = Identific (Type of question = Identified) Questão = Alteração Morada/Singular (Question = Change of Address / Singular)
A question will appear underneath. Select "Não".
5. In the text field labeled Assunto (Subject), put: "Alteraçao Morada" *Translation: Change of Address
In the text field labeled Mensagem (Message), copy-paste the following message and update item in the brackets:
"Prezado(a), bom dia! Espero que esteja bem. Solicito a alteração do endereço no meu NIF para [insert your new address here, exactly as in your proof with postal code]. Em anexo encontra-se a minha prova de morada. Muito obrigado pela sua assistência e tenha um bom dia."
Translation: "Dear, good morning! I hope you are well. I request to change the address on my NIF to [insert your new address here, exactly as in your proof with postal code]. Attached is my proof of address. Thank you very much for your assistance and have a nice day.."
Finally, attach your new proof of address document. Please check what you can provide as proof of address: EU citizenship Non-EU citizenship This should be a single file with a maximum size of 5MB.
6. Click the blue "Registar Questão" button to send the request. Translation: "Register question"
7. You will need to check back on the request within 12 hours*. You can use this quick link
*Timeframe is estimated and may take more, individually for each tax branch.
You should see a message from Autoridade Tributária with a document for you to sign and return. It should have the word "Alteração", which means "change". Download the form by clicking on the link.
8. On Page 1 of the document: Review the updated details. On Page 2 of the document: Add today's date and sign (see guide below). Send this document back to the Tax Office by responding to the message thread and attaching the signed 2-page document. This must be completed within 48 hours of receiving the Alteração document. Include the following message: "Veja o documento assinado em anexo" Translation: See the signed document attached
9. Now that you've submitted the Alteração document, you just need to wait for Finanças to issue your updated NIF document. This will come in the form of a message. You can use this quick link to go to the Atendimento e-balcão.
10. Click the "Ver Pedido" button to open the message thread.
11. The next page should have your new NIF document available for download.
Do not yet have a NIF?
Don't waste your time to find cheapest and fastest way to obtain Portugal NIF online. nifportugal.pt has combined these two advantages so that you no longer need to spend time searching for a company that could make your trip to Portugal as easy as possible.
Get your NIF
nifportugal.pt is not a bank, accountant, tax/investment advisor, or law firm. NifPortugal acts as an intermediary, facilitating the process of working with financial and legal professionals. Please seek the advice of an attorney or financial professional for advice on your particular situation.